Time for Baby’s update…
Your baby’s growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he’s almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he’ll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing “branches” of the respiratory “tree” as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.
At 24 weeks, the baby has a chance of survival if it is born. Most babies born before this time cannot live because their lungs and other vital organs are not developed enough. The care that can now be given in neonatal units means that more and more babies born early do survive. But for babies born at around this time there are increased risks of disability.
* How far along?: 24 weeks.
* Total weight gain: I’ve gained almost 2 pounds but still I’m down 13 pounds.
* How big is baby?: A foot long- the length of an ear of corn.
* Maternity clothes?: I just bought 5 pairs of maternity pants and a few tops… so comfy now!
* Sleep?: It’s interrupted and getting more and more uncomfortable.
* Best moment this week?: Getting good news about Baby from the doctor.
* Movement?: Baby is in the breech position which isn’t always so pleasant when Baby kicks.
* Food cravings?: None- Still having food aversions to practically everything.
* Labor Signs: No.
* Belly Button: Innie.
* What I miss: Still, wanting to cook nice meals.
* What I’m looking forward to: Still, not puking anymore and feeling better.
* Weekly wisdom: Listen to everyone, but choose who/what you believe.
* Milestone: I’m six months today!
Info taken from babycenter.